Saturday, February 2, 2013

Module 5 Static vs Dynamic Technologies



             I have been teaching in a virtual classroom for about 14 years and feel I have stepped into the static-dynamic continuum.  I have always used a synchronized classroom while teaching online.  This is real-time classes with the live interaction amongst the students and teacher.   Due to the program I used to teach my students in the past, I was only able to make use of static technologies during class-time.  With the new program I now use, I am able to use more dynamic technologies.  Previously I used a program called Interwise which I was able to insert a little bit of static technology with items like websites, texting, and podcasts. With the new program called Blackboard Collaborate I can use interactive websites, web 2.0 technology, self created videos to go along with the lessons I teach, voice threads, gaming, and animation.  The students love when I use sites such as Voki.com where I am talking to them as a different character often with a different voice.  The characters seem to capture their attention due to the fact that it is something different than they are used to.   One site that I use often is Onetruemedia.com  which allows me to present the student’s in-class or homework by way of a video.  Another site I use frequently is Voicethread.com.  I can insert videos or images or even a research project into the site and the students can respond to the work presented and listen to other student’s responses. 
             I feel I am only at the beginning of using these dynamic technologies.  Like Anderson, I believe “ technologies are used to overcome distance in online learning” (Anderson, 2008, p. 167).  I am typically using video creation and interactive websites currently in class.   When I find a new type of technology, I make every effort to do a test run with my classes with just a fun topic about themselves to see how simple it is for them to utilize and if every student can produce a positive result.  I then will incorporate it into the math class.  The initial time I use a new type of technology, it is very time-consuming, but after using it that first time, I am usually able to set things up for my students fairly quickly.  I feel “that what the learner does with media is more important than what the teacher does” (Fahy, 2008). Students can expand on what I show them how to execute and create and take responsibility for their own education by taking it one step further.

References
Anderson, T. (2008). The Theory and Practice of Online Learning. Edmonton: AU
              Press.
Fahy, P. (2008). Characteristics of Interactive Online Learning Media. The Theory and
              Practice of online learning (2nd ed., pp. 305-340). Edmonton: AU Press.





5 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,
    I noticed that you put your self-created videos in the dynamic category of tools. Is it an interactive video? Also a question, have you ever used Skype or Twitter as sources of dynamic learning? Twitter is fast becoming my go-to source for collaborative, connected professional learning: @marthambless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matha,
    I do have students create videos. You can use a program called Camtasia which allows you to create interactive content. I do use Skype for my own personal use once in a while. I have an account with Twitter but have not used it in years. Many of the programs are too old for my students to use. Parents do not want their little children exposed to what is on Twitter. I do hear some of my students saying to meet them on Skype after class to talk. Many of the parents do not want their children's pictures on the internet (many due to religious beliefs) so they do not allow them to use many of the new technologies. They want everything monitored and double monitored.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, I understand that Twitter is not appropriate for all ages. I was wondering if you have used it for your own professional learning :-)

      Delete
    2. I have not. I haven't been on Twitter and really do not know what is available through it. I need to do that.

      Delete
    3. Hi Mrs Dodd, Our concept maps are every similar except for the fact that you use podcasts several times under several different topics. I know I mentioned the Wiki board several times during my concept map, because I use it a lot for several different things. I was wondering do you use podcasts a lot, and if so do you think this is why you can relate them to a large amount of subject topics?

      Delete