Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Module 4 Connectivism

In the video (Laureate, 2009), George Siemens stated “In a stable environment, the intent of education is to produce clarity and clear thinking.”  I find using the resources I have at hand to enhance my learning is important.  My personal network has changed the way that I learn.  I have learned many new ways to communicate with others in order to find out information that I need to know personally and to teach my students with.  I have found that I now can collaborate with others through blogging and wikis so that I can utilize a higher order of thinking.  I can elaborate on projects because I might not have thought of something that another person has thought of to use in projects.  I now watch and create videos with the use of web 2.0 technologies to help me understand what I am learning.  I communicate through email and a school program called Schoology with my colleagues more than I have prior to coming to Walden University.  I now know how to look up professional journals in online libraries and know which ones are valuable resources and which ones I should not use as a valuable resource.  I used to stick to just the readings that are assigned for a module but I now will go to other sources on the internet to help expand on what was not included in the class readings.
The digital tools that best facilitate learning for me are videos, whether teacher created or other professionals on youtube or other websites.  I like items that I can refer back to and watch or read over and over if I do not understand a concept.  I enjoy knowing that if I do not understand something in one video, there are many more that I can view to help me understand.  I also have found that I have been reading other blogs to see their interpretations of certain views of concepts that I am learning about.  I know people tend to go to blogs that have the same views and opinions as we do, but I am now branching out and looking for opposite viewpoints so that I can have a broader view of the topics I am reading about.  I continue to use “mashups, or taking content and ideas that others have produces and reuse and repurpose them in different contexts” (Laureate, 2009).
“Connectivist teaching and learning must optimize the ability for learners to form effective networks” (Laureate, 2009).  Using my network to learn information is vital to what I need to know.  I count on many people and websites to help me with what I am intrigued about.  I have found that I am habitually searching for answers on the internet for new knowledge I do not know.  If I want to learn how to do something, I will check youtube for a video.  I will look for surveys if I want to know something that I am comparing to something else.  I look up medical issues on certain reliable websites.   I use Pintrest when I need ideas for decorating or for teaching.  I enjoy finding new apps for my ipad when I find I am searching the same concept repeatedly.   “Human existence is a quest to understand.  Our spaces and structures need to be aligned with our new understanding of knowledge…and the manner in which it moves, flows, and behaves” (Siemens, p. 4). 
References
Laureate Education, I. (Director). (2009). Connectivism Learning Theory [Motion Picture].
Siemens, G. (2006). Knowing Knowledge. Copyright 2006 by George Siemens. Used by permission.

I replied to
Karen,
I like your mindmap. I like how you separated the items into categories. Mine is altogether only because I think I use all of the sites for all the categories. We use so many of the same sites. I have not used Edmodo but have checked it out in the past. I use Schoology which I think works very similar to Edmondo. Noble sounds awesome. My students love to create avatars and real world situations are highly necessary in class. I am excited to check that out and use it for my classes. Thanks for the information. Lori


Joseline
Your mindmap is very interesting.  I like how you included pictures and the categories.  I have found most of mine are intertwined and I had a hard time separating them.  you included many that I did not include so I need to add more onto mine that you had that I do not.  Digital communication is important in our classes now to solidify knowledge like you said in your writing.  Lori

8 comments:

  1. I like you network map, I think you added some that I should have listed on mine as well. I left off YouTube! I have used it often to see how to do something technical, and just for normal how to things as well. Thanks for sharing.

    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George! I also use youtube quite often for many different things, but especially for technical issues.
      Lori

      Delete
  2. Vast variety of resources! I too see some I left off mine. There is so much information out there that it is difficult to track down all the sources we use and even more difficult to organize in categories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseline,
    I also find there are so many that I use but have a hard time thinking of all of them. I am going to put mine in categories also but it is difficult since they can go in many different categories.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mindmap is awesome and fills in several gaps from my own. I simply listed my favorite for each category, and did not put the actual people into my map. Kudos to you for getting that in there - the main connection for my digital learning is that connection to the people with whom I am working. I also completely forgot about Youtube, even though I used it to today to light the pilot light in my oven. Apps on the phone are something I am learning to use - I especially am utilizing the common core app right now as I create my assessments for the upcoming school year! Great map and reflection - I have already learned much from connecting with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,

    Thank you for your post. I am very interested in learning in Schoology. Seems like it is something that is worth investing into. In regards to the digital tools, I do feel comfortable with videos or face-to-face interactions. Maybe its because I am more of a visual learner.

    Thank you for helping me better understand this module!

    Best regards,

    Gus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori,

    Interestingly, I use words like “Google”, “YouTube”, and “Pintrest” as verbs because I actually am going to these websites to interact. Funny you mention Pintrest because that is where I go to generate new ideas versus asking people I know or extended friends. Goodness, I hope I will have the skill to talk to people face-to-face versus typing and texting. What would Siemens say about sustaining live action talking skills versus texting and typing.

    Kind Regards,
    Lynda Marhall

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori,

    Seeing all of the connections has helped me see the organic nature of our lives...some connections grow and spread and others die off. I love all the connections that sustain my life that are not limited to the face to face people I interact with. I feel I am healthier for them.
    CeCelia

    ReplyDelete